Goes nicely with red meats as well as charcuterie turkey and chicken.
See how simple it is to create this great-tasting dish below and don’t forget that you can always print it.
Apple and Pear Chutney
- 3 Apples , preferably Granny Smith, cored and chopped in small chunks
- 3 Pears , large ones, cored and chopped in small chunks
- 3 Tomatoes , seeded and chopped in small chunks
- 1 cup Raisins , from white grapes
- 3 tbsp EVOO , Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Onions , medium ones, minced
- 300 ml Cider Vinegar
- 150 g Light Brown Sugar , crystalised
- 200 ml Orange Juice
- Zest from 3 Oranges
- 1 tbsp Sweet Chili Flakes , ground
- 1 tsp Hot Paprika , not smoked
- 1 tbsp Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Coriander , ground
- 1 tsp All-Spice
- 1 ½ tsp Cinnnamon , ground
- Ginger , 2-inches, grated
- Good Pinch of Saffron
- Place a large sautéing pan on medium and once hot pour the oil and the onions. Sauté for 3-4’ until softened and transparent. Add the spices, sweet chili flakes – hot paprika – nutmeg – coriander – all-spice – cinnnamon, along with the ginger and mix well.
- Add the sugar and allow to melt and dissolve while stirring and then pour the vinegar. Let it warm and add the pears, the apples and the raisins and mix well.
- Pour the orange juice along with the zest and the saffron, bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 20’ making sure that most of the liquid has been absorbed but not completely dried out. Finally, drop in the tomatoes, give it a good stir and remove from the heat to a bowl to allow to cool before storing in sterilized jars.