A sauce to be enjoyed over roasted veggies or stewed legumes and even better on grilled meats.
Keep in your fridge handy and you will totally forget of things like mayo, mustard and the rest.
I hope you enjoy it!
Here you can find more of my Sauces.
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Cook Time||1 Hour|
- 8 red Bell Peppers , halved and then quartered and then seeded
- 5 Chili Peppers , halved
- 5 cloves roasted Garlic , minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds , crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds , crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 3 tbsp dry Rose Petals , crushed with a mortar and pestle, plus more for garnishing
- 1½ tbsp fine Sugar
- 25ml Rose water
- 30ml red wine Vinegar
- 60ml EVOO , extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tbsp Sea Salt
- Turn on the oven to 125°C, air circulation and rack placed in the middle of the oven.
- Get an oven proof dish, lined with parchment paper, and add the peppers (skin side up). Drizzle with half the oil and season with the salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven cooking for 1 hour until soft and slightly wrinkled, while tossing halfway into the cooking process. Keep aside to cool.
- Add into the bowl of a food processor the peppers along with the garlic, cumin and coriander and process for a minute or so.
- Place a large sauteing pan over medium heat and add the remaining oil. Once it heats-up add the tomato paste and cook for 1’. Then add the pepper paste, reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook for 10’. Then add the vinegar and the crushed rose petal along with the rose water and cook for 5’ more while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and once cool you can place the harissa in jars and refrigerate or freeze. Sprinkle on top some of the reserved rose petals
Share this Recipe