A succotash stacked with flavours coming from the individual cooking of almost all ingredients creating a playful taste buds challenge.
Add to those the nutty wild rice and you have a side dish turned into a main dish.
Wild Rice Succotash
I hope you enjoy it!
Here you can find more of my Rice recipes.
- 500 gr Wild Rice with Basmati
- 500 gr Okra , thickly sliced about 2 cm thickness after being washed and dried
- 350 gr Sweet Corn , kernels caramelized
- 5 Scallions , finely sliced
- 250 gr Edamame Beans , frozen will do
- ½ cup Walnuts , lightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 red Chili Peppers , diagonally sliced, keep as much of the seeds depending on your heat preferences
- 3 tablespoons fresh Parsley , roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
- 4 tablespoons EVOO , extra virgin olive oil
- 50 ml White Vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- Place on high fire a medium/large pot filled with salted water. When it comes to a boil add the rice, reduce the heat and simmer for about 22 minutes, stirring 2-3 while cooking, until rice has softened but still a bit al-dente.
- Remove from the heat and place in a sieve to drain. Immediately return to the pot and cover with the lid while placing a kitchen towel in-between. Allow for 3 minutes for the extra moisture to be absorbed, fluff with a fork and keep aside with the lid off.
- Wash and dry the Okra, then place in a flat dish, spread them all over so as not to be stacked on each other, and drizzle on top with the white vinegar. Place in the sun for an hour.
- In a medium pot filled to 2/3 with salted water add the edamame beans and bring water to a boil and simmer for 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon take out of the water in a bowl filled with water and ice cubes to stop cooking and then to a colander to allow to drain.
- Take a large sauté pan and place on medium fire. A minute later add 2 tablespoons of the oil and wait to heat up. Then add the scallions along with the cut okra and cook for about 10 minutes until a bit soft. Lightly season with salt & pepper and deglaze with the balsamic vinegar. Remove from the pan and keep aside.
- In the same sauté pan, place it on medium heat and a minute later add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. When it heats up and smokes add the corn and allow to char without moving. Once charred, toss add the chilli peppers and char a bit more. Lightly season with salt & pepper and deglaze with the soy sauce. Remove from the pan and keep aside
- In the meantime, we place a small sautéing pan over low-medium heat and add the butter and the sugar. Once melted and frothed we add the walnuts and stir well to get well coated. Cook for 5-7 minutes until nicely colored and caramelized.
- We build our dish by adding the rice to a large bowl and mixing all the above into it, the Okra, edamame beans, sweet corn and chilli peppers, walnuts as well as the parsley. Toss couple of times, season with more salt and pepper if necessary and serve.