An authentic and easy Greek oven baked fish recipe, of a grouper fished in the Aegean waters. Cooked along with onions and potatoes while infused with fresh herbs.
I hope you enjoy it!
Check more of my Fish Recipes here.
- 1 Dusky Grouper , about 2.5kg, scaled and gutted by your friendly fishmonger
- 25ml Lemon juice
- 1 Lemon , sliced
- 4 Potatoes , peeled and thickly sliced about 1cm
- 2 white Onions , thickly sliced about 1cm
- 4 sprigs fresh Rosemary , home grown
- 4 sprigs fresh Oregano , home grown
- 1 tsp Dry Oregano
- 120ml EVOO , Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Sumac
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, air circulation, rack in the middle.
- In a large rectangular non-stick oven-proof dish add the onions and the potatoes, slightly overlapping each other. Add the fresh rosemary and oregano, pour 30ml of the oil and season with half the salt and pepper while sprinkling the sumac all-over.
- Add the fish on the bed of the potatoes, insert in the belly the slices of lemon and drizzle another 30ml of the oil all over the fish while seasoning with the remaining salt and pepper. Tightly close with aluminum foil.
- Cook for 60’, uncover and cook for further 20’ to achieve some browning of the fish’s skin and of the potatoes.
- In the meantime, prepare a dressing by adding into a small glass bowl the lemon juice along with the dry oregano. Slowly pour the remaining oil, 60ml while whisking to emulsify well.
- Remove the fish from the oven and cover with foil to rest. Continue cooking the potatoes for 15’ more with the grill/broiler on. Serve and provide the dressing for a truly authentic Greek fish experience.
Share this Recipe