Staple in our bi-weekly lunch menu, packed with protein that can easily replace meat. Flavourful to thanks to both the lentils and the rice as well as the fried onions.
Works, simple things in your fridge but personally I would never exclude the olives and the fresh chilies. Pitta bread for those of us that love this combination.
Cypriot Lentils with the Works
I hope you enjoy it!
Here you can find more of my Pulses Recipes.
- Wash thoroughly the lentils and make sure no small stone chips are included.
- In a medium pot add the lentils, the bay leaf and cover well with water, about 4 cm above their level. On high heat bring to a boil and simmer for about 20’ and until lentils are almost soft but not falling apart.
- In the meantime, in a medium sauteing pan on medium heat add 50ml of oil and add the onions. Add ½ tsp of salt and stir occasionally until nicely browned and caramelized.
- Back to the lentils, drain them and remove the bay leaves. Put the back to the pot and add the rice along with 2 ½ cups of warm water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10-12’ with the lid on and until the water has been almost absorbed. Add more water if needed.
- Before removing from the heat add half the onions along with the remaining oil and season with the salt and pepper. If a bit liquidy you can add a towel and close the lid for 10’
- Serve and garnish with the remaining onions.