It is both sweet as well as very tasty thanks to the honey and the mustard. But a second layer of flavour, as well as crunchiness, comes through with the use of the pistachios.
Classic Chicken Roast
I hope you enjoy it!
Here you can find more of my Recipes with Chicken.
|Prep Time||25 Minutes|
|Cook Time||80 Minutes|
|Passive Time||1 Hour|
- 1 Chicken , whole, about 3kgs.
- 4 large Potatoes , peeled and cut in 3-4cm chunks
- 4 small-medium white Onions , peeled and halved ring-wise
- 2 large ripe Tomatoes , quartered
- 3 cloves Garlic , peeled and smashed
- 100g Butter , unsalted
- 1 Lemon , quartered
- 10 sprigs fresh Thyme , home grown
- 10 sprigs fresh Oregano , home grown
- 2 sprigs fresh Rosemary , home grown
- 1 tbsp Sea Salt
- 1 ½ tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- Turn on the oven to 230°C, air circulation, rack below the middle. Remove the chicken from the fridge at least 1 hour before cooking. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken and place in its cavity the cut lemon, the garlic, thyme, oregano, rosemary and half the butter.
- Use an oven proof roasting pan and spread the potatoes, onions and tomatoes while seasoning them with salt and pepper. Slit the skin of each breast and place underneath the skin 25g of butter. Then tag the legs to the inside of the thighs and tie them tightly together and around the chicken. Season with the remaining salt and pepper and place on top of the potatoes, onions and the tomatoes, breast side up.
- Place in the oven and cook for 40’ to crisp and colour the skin while basting couple of times. Reduce the temperature to 180°C and cook for about 40’ more, until the chicken is cooked through and until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat reads 76°C, while basting couple of more times.
- Take off the oven, place the chicken on a grilled dish covered and cover with aluminium foil to rest.
- Either serve the chicken in a large dish uncut or cut the chicken, arrange the potatoes and onions around it and pour any of the juices that remained in the pan the sauce.
Share this Recipe