Cacio e Pepe is something everybody talks about these days, trendy some say! For me is a dish for life. While very simple, at the same time is complexed as the choice and quality of the ingredients are vital for a true Roman Cacio e Pepe. Other than that, the whole idea is to turn water and dry cheese into a creamy sauce and when made right when, it is incredible!
Cacio e Pepe
Not expensive and quick to put make, but very easy to get wrong. So please remember the following:
1. Pasta traditionally used is Pici or Tonnarelli but any other thick pasta like Bucatini will do.
2. Cook the pasta in minimum of water in order to concentrate the starch that will help to thicken the sauce.
3. Cheese must be the salty Pecorino Romano, finely grated and used while in room
4. Accentuate the peppercorns flavor by toasting them before crushing them. temperature.
5. Temperature of the water shouldn’t be too high when mixing with the cheese otherwise the result is a lumpy sauce instead of a creamy one. One route to go is to whisk the cheese and water together to make a paste before adding the pasta.
I hope you enjoy it!
Here you can find more of my PASTA recipes.
- Start by placing a small saucepan on high heat. When hot add the peppercorns and toast for couple of minutes until fragrant. Remove from the pan and use a mortar and pestle to coarsely crush. Keep aside.
- In a medium pot bring water to a boil on high heat adding a generous amount of salt. Add the pasta, stirring occasionally so as not to stick and cook according to suggested time on the box of the pasta less 1 minute. Remove from the water, drain and keep aside.
- 5 minutes before the pasta being cooked get a cup from the cooking water and allow to cool a bit (I add 1 ice cube).
- Take a large glass bowl and add 120 gr of the Pecorino cheese along with most of the crushed peppercorns. Gradually add the reserved pasta water while whisking in order to create a creamy sauce. Use as much of the water as needed. Add the pasta and toss vigorously and quickly to cover each of the pasta with the sauce. If needed add more of the pasta water.
- Serve in individual plates and sprinkle with the extra Pecorino cheese and crushed peppercorns.