The meaning of ‘superfood’ is expressed in the best possible way by the white beans ‘Ksekounia’. Harvested in the summer and now available throughout the year frozen from Barba Stathis. Their creamy texture is hard to be found elsewhere and Fasolia Ksekounia are a staple in our diet, high in protein making them an excellent meat substitute for vegetarian and/or vegan diets. Served warm or cold, accompanied by anchovies, or any similar smoked treated fish, olives, chilies and rustic bread.
I hope you enjoy it!
- 750g White Beans Ksekounia , Barba Stathis
- 1 bunch thin Celery stems , finely chopped
- 1 Carrot , diced
- 2 Bell Peppers , 1 red & 1 green, diced
- 4 Spring Onions , finely chopped
- 1 Avocado , roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Capers , roughly chopped
- ½ cup Cherry Tomatoes , halved
- 1 tsp dry Coriander , ground
- ¾ cup Fresh Parsley , finely chopped, keep some for garnishing
- 50ml EVOO , Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for serving
- 30ml Lemon Juice , plus more for serving
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- Place a large pot or casserole on high fire filled with water. Bring to a boil and add the frozen beans. Bring again to a boil and simmer on low heat with the lid askew for 30’. Halfway through add to the pot the celery and the carrots, add the dry coriander and season with the salt & pepper while continuing the cooking. Remove from the fire and drain.
- In the meantime, place a sauteing pan on medium heat and add half the oil. Allow to heat up for a minute or so and add the peppers along with the cherry tomatoes. Cook until softened while tossing couple of times. Remove from the fire and keep aside.
- Back to the drained beans with the veggies, place them in a large bowl and add to them the cooked peppers with the cherry tomatoes. Toss in the spring onions along with the parsley, pour the remaining oil along with the lemon juices and mix gently.
- Finally, add the capers along with the avocado and toss gently. Taste, season if needed and serve in individual plates while pouring some more oil and lemon juice, along with the bread, olives, chilies and anchovies.
- Add some parsley for garnishing.