Typical Levantine grilled chicken skewers recipe that is juicy and tender chicken having been marinated in yoghurt, lemon, tomato and garlic.
I hope you enjoy it!
Here you can find more of my Chicken Recipes.
Servings: 8 People
- 8 cm Chicken Fillets , about 2kg cut in 2-2½cubes
- Metal skewers
- 250g Traditional Yoghurt
- 2 large Yellow Onions , halved and quartered
- 4 cloves Garlic , smashed
- 75ml EVOO , Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 100ml Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Sumac
- 1 tsp Cardamom , ground
- 1 tsp Aleppo Pepper , ground
- 1 tsp All-Spice Berries
- 1 tbsp Coriander , ground
- ½ tbsp dry Ginger , ground
- 1 tsp Sweet Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Sweet Paprika
- 2 tbsp fresh Parsley , finely chopped
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tomatoes , halved
- Pitta Bread
- Prepare the marinade by combining in a large bowl all the above ingredients except of the onions, parsley, tomatoes and the sumac. Then add the chicken cubes into the bowl and toss to incorporate. Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour prior to cooking and put on skewers loosely packed with layers of the onions in-between while discarding any excess marinade and the garlic.
- Prepare your coals and once well rested and having created a nice grey ash, spread them all over the grill’s base.
- Place your skewers on the grill and cook for about 10 minutes, turning frequently and until chicken is cooked through and nicely charred. The metal skewers help to cook the inside of the chicken cubes.
- In the meantime, put the halved tomatoes on skewers and cook until nicely charred.
- Take off the grill and place on a plate where half the pitta bread is lined, sprinkle with the sumac and the parsley and cover with the rest of the pitta bread. Cover with foil for 5-10’ and then enjoy.