Hearty and aromatic side dish that goes well with any meat or poultry regardless if Indian or not.
Dal Red Lentils
I hope you enjoy it!
Here you can find more of my Pulses Recipes.
Dal Red Lentils
Servings: 6 People
- 500g Red Lentils
- 60g Butter , unsalted
- 1 large White Onion , finely chopped
- 1 Red Chilli Pepper , seeded as much as you like depending on your ‘heat’ preferences
- 1 inch Ginger , grated from frozen
- 1 large Tomato , ripe, seeded and chopped in small dices
- 2 Garlic Gloves , minced with a garlic presser tool
- 2 tsp Garam Masala , powder
- 2 tsp dry Coriander , finely ground
- 2 Sticks Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Turmeric , ground
- 1 tsp Sweet Paprika , not smoked
- 1 tsp Cardamon
- 2 tbsp Peanut oil , or any fine vegetable oil such as rapeseed
- 30ml Lemon Juice
- 1½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- Place a medium/large saucepan or casserole on high heat, with the lentils, water 4 cm above their level, half the butter and the turmeric. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15’ and until the lentils are soft but not falling apart. Remove from the heat, drain the excess water and keep aside.
- Use a medium frying pan on low heat and add the oil. Allow to heat up and add the cumin seeds along with the cinnamon sticks. Cook for a minute or so until fragrant and then add the rest of the butter along with the onion, chilli pepper, ginger and garlic. Cook while stirring for about 5’ and then drop in the tomatoes, garam masala, coriander, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir well and cook for about 3’ and until the tomatoes have softened a lot.
- Remove from the fire, discard the cinnamon sticks and add into the saucepan with the lentils. Pour the lemon juice and mix well. If needed as a tbsp or two of water to thin out the dal.