Intrigued with their vivid green colour, I told myself that I should try them out. I was sure that these green tomatoes would have a tangy taste, nevertheless it was not overwhelming and provided a slightly acidic flavour that you easily get ‘hooked’ on!
Have a look below at the full recipe and don’t forget that you can always print it.
Here you can find more of my Pasta Recipes.
Rigatoni Green Tomato Sauce
- 500 g Rigatoni Pasta
- 1 kg Green Tomatoes , cut in quarters
- ½ cup Basil Leaves
- 3 Cloves Roasted Garlic
- 1 tbsp dry Oregano
- 50 g Parmigiano Reggiano , grated
- 5 litres of Water
- 50 ml EVOO , Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- Turn the oven on, air circulation at 170°C rack set in the middle.
- Use an oven proof dish and add the cut tomatoes, drizzle with the half the olive oil and season with half the salt and pepper. Place the dish in the oven and cook for 30’. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Attach the metal blade in a food processors’ bowl and add the tomatoes along with the basil, garlic, oregano and the rest of the oil. Season with the remaining salt and pepper. Pulse couple of times without overworking as we are aiming for a chunky sauce. Place in a high walled frying pan and keep warm.
- In the meantime, in a large pot bring the water to a boil on high heat adding a generous amount of salt. Add the pasta, stirring occasionally so as not to stick and cook according to suggested time on the box of the pasta less 1½’. Reserve ½ cup of cooking water.
- Strain the pasta and return to the pan with the sauce on high heat, stir for a minute so as the pasta absorbs the sauce. Add from the reserved water if consistency is on the thick side.
- Toss and serve, add the grated Parmigiano Reggiano and drizzle with some olive oil.