Absolutely excellent! Not enough words to describe it! Come over, I will make some and then you find the words!
Can be refrigerated and enjoyed in the following days.
Wild Rice Hash
I hope you enjoy it!
Here you can find more of my Rice recipes.
Wild Rice Hash
Servings: 8 People
- 400 gr Wild Rice & Basmati
- 500 gr Okra , thickly sliced about 2 cm thickness after being washed and dried, frozen could also be used
- 350 gr Sweet Corn , kernels caramelized
- 250 gr Peas , frozen will do
- ½ cup Walnuts , lightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 red Chili Peppers , diagonally sliced, keep as much of the seeds depending on your heat preferences
- 3 tablespoons fresh Parsley , roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
- 4 tablespoons EVOO , extra virgin olive oil
- 50 ml white Vinegar
- 1 cup Fried Shallots , press link for recipe
- 1-2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven at 200˚ C, air ventilation and with the rack set in the middle.
- Place on high fire a medium/large pot filled with salted water. When it comes to a boil add the rice, reduce the heat and simmer for about 22 minutes, stirring 2-3 while cooking, until rice has softened but still a bit al-dente.
- Remove from the heat and place in a sieve to drain. Immediately return to the pot and cover with the lid while placing a kitchen towel in-between. Allow for 3 minutes for the extra moisture to be absorbed, fluff with a fork and keep aside with the lid off.
- Wash and dry the Okra, then place in a flat dish, spread them all over so as not to be stacked on each other, and drizzle on top with the white vinegar. Place in the sun for an hour.
- In an oven proof dish add the okra and the peas, pour over them 2 tablespoons of the oil and the balsamic vinegar, season with the salt and pepper and toss well. Place in the preheated oven and cook for 25 minutes until nicely charred while tossing halfway through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool a bit.
- Take a large sauté pan and place on medium fire. A minute later add the remaining 2 tablespoons of the oil. When it heats up and smokes add the corn and allow to char without moving. Once charred, toss add the chilli peppers and char a bit more. Lightly season with salt & pepper and deglaze with the soy sauce. Remove from the pan and keep aside
- In the meantime, we place a small sautéing pan over low-medium heat and add the butter and the sugar. Once melted and frothed we add the walnuts and stir well to get well coated. Cook for 5-7 minutes until nicely colored and caramelized.
- We build our dish by adding the rice to a large bowl and mixing all the above into it, the Okra, peas, sweet corn and chilli peppers, walnuts as well as the parsley and half of the fried shallots. Toss couple of times, season with more salt and pepper if necessary and serve while garnishing with the remaining fried shallots.