A typical Italian greens’ mixed salad with a lemony dressing that is further enriched with avocado, pine nuts and crispy Parmigiano Reggiano.
I chose to use more of the hearts from Gem lettuce, but Roman lettuce hearts will also do. Don’t omit to use other types of greens that can provide bitterness such as chicory, endive, mustard leaves radicchio, beetroot leaves, dandelion greens, escarole leaves, frisée and wild greens, but using what’s seasonal and available to you means the salad will always be at its best.
I hope you enjoy it!
Here you can find more of my Salad Recipes.
- 500g fresh Mixed Greens , like whole Gem lettuce or Roman lettuce hearts plus at your preference and availability of wild leafy greens, chicory, endive, mustard leaves, radicchio, beetroot leaves, dandelion leaves, escarole leaves, and frisée. Except of the lettuce, the rest of the greens to be cut/torn into bite sizes
- 2 tbsp Pine Nuts , toasted
- 1½ in Avocado , thickly sliced and then choppedlarge chunks.
- 70 ml EVOO , extra virgin olive oil
- 50 ml Lemon Juice
- 50g Parmigiano Reggiano , grated
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp freshly cracked Black Pepper
- We start with the crispy Parmigiano Reggiano by taking an oven proof dish lined with parchment paper and adding with a spoon the Parmigiano Reggiano and flattening it. Sprinkle half the black pepper and cook in a pre-heated oven, air circulation, at 200°C for about 7’ and until crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the dish. Remove from the dish using a spatula and crack in large pieces. Any bits that have broken apart, to be used in the dressing.
- To make the dressing we add into a glass bowl the oil, lemon along with the bits of the broken Parmigiano Reggiano, ½ the avocado the salt and pepper and with the use of a hand blender we pulse few times. You want the avocado to blend with the oil and lemon but to become a rich creamy sauce.
- Place the greens along with the remaining 1 avocado in a large bowl along with half the pine nuts, pour the dressing and toss, preferably with your hands. Place the dressed leaves in a serving plate and add on top the remaining pine nuts, the crispy Parmigiano Reggiano and serve.