The unbelievable creaminess of fava peas is transformed into crunchy patties that are matched really well with the nutty and sour flavour of the tahini sauce.
We usually serve them as a meze but also as a main meal. True Vegan dish that will keep happy any of us!
I hope you enjoy it!
Here you can find more of my Pulses Recipes.
- 500g Fava Split Peas
- 2 Yellow Onions , finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp Cinnamon , ground
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Graviera Cheese , grated
- 1 cup EVOO , extra virgin olive oil
- 50ml Lemon juice
- 1 cup Parsley , leaves picked, finely chopped (or coriander)
- 6 Scallions , finely chopped
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- Take a large sauteing pan and add half the olive oil. Wait for a minute to heat up and then add the onions. Sauté for about 4’ until they are translucent and softened. Remove half of them and keep them aside. For the rest, add the fava peas and make sure that they are all coated with the oil.
- Then add the bay leaves, season with half the salt and pepper and pour boiling water to cover the fava peas and be about 3 cm above their level. Bring to a boil and then simmer with the lid askew, adding more water as needed. Fava peas will be ready when they are really falling apart and ready to be mashed.
- Take off the heat and use a handheld blender to puree the peas to a thick mixture while adding the lemon juice.
- Place the mashed fava peas in a large bowl and add the parsley along with the scallions, cinnamon, flour and the grated graviera and mix well.
- To cook the favokeftedes, we take a large frying pan and place on medium heat. We add olive oil, just about to cover the surface of the pan and allow to heat up. Then we use a large spoon and add a spoon mixture at a time into the pan and fry for about 3’. Then we flip them and fry them for another 3’. They will be ready when they are golden and crisp on the outside. Drain on paper towels. Repeat for the remaining mixture.
- To serve, tahini sauce goes nicely with them while warm pitta bread can be used to treat them as a sandwich.