Such an easy dish to make with ingredients that are of hash DNA. It’s a side dish but at the same time I would easily enjoy it on its own as a main dish.
While any rice will do, I chose the hearty wild rice that goes very nicely with this hash.
Wild Rice with Tomatoes…
I hope you enjoy it!
Here you can find more of my Rice recipes.
Wild Rice with Tomatoes...
- 500 gr Okra , thickly sliced about 1 cm thickness
- 300 gr Wild Rice
- 20 Cherry Tomatoes , halved
- 200 gr Corn , frozen Kernels
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper , deseeded and diced to ½ cm size
- 3 tablespoons fresh Parsley , leaves picked and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh Thyme , home grown, leaves picked and chopped
- 2 tablespoons EVOO , Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons White Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- Place on high fire a medium/large pot filled with salted water. When it comes to a boil add the rice, reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring 2-3 while cooking, until rice has softened but still a bit al-dente.
- Remove from the heat and place in a sieve to drain. Immediately return to the pot and cover with the lid while placing a kitchen towel in-between. Allow for 3 minutes for the extra moisture to be absorbed, fluff with a fork and keep aside with the lid off.
- In the meantime, wash and dry the Okra, then place in a flat dish, spread them all over so as not to be stacked on each other, and drizzle on top with the vinegar. Place in the sun for an hour.
- Take a large sauté pan and place on medium fire. A minute later add the oil, wait for another minute to heat up and toss in the okra and sauté until a bit charred, about 10 minutes.
- Increase the heat and add the corn and bell pepper. Toss for 2 minutes, add the tomatoes and toss for 2 more minutes. Then pour the balsamic vinegar and mix well.
- We build our dish by combining into the rice the vegetables along with the parsley and thyme. Season with the salt and pepper, toss couple of times and serve.