The simplest of them all, Saganaki, and probably the most representative of how to turn a single ingredient to another dimension of flavour.
Don’t skip the lemon juice as it makes a whole of difference while for those that like Ouzo, this is the opportunity to grab your glasses and enjoy meze time!
I hope you enjoy it!
- 250 gr Kefalotyri , Charalambides-Christis
- 60 gr EVOO , Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 50 gr all-purpose flour , seasoned with Oregano, Salt and Pepper
- 20 ml Lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- Make sure that the Kefalotyri bought is squared and not in wedges. Then cut the cheese in long squares of 6-7 cm, 3-4 cm width and of about 1 cm thickness.
- As you want to dredge the cheese in the flour, first take a wet towel and gently rub the cheese. Use kitchen paper to wipe most of the moisture and then dredge them lightly making sure that all sides of the cheese are dredged.
- In a medium cast iron pan over medium heat pour the olive oil and a minute later when the oil has heated add the cheese and fry for 2-3 minutes per side until a nice crusty light golden color is created.
- Serve immediately when hot while drizzling on them a bit of lemon juice.