Greek fast food fantasy made with quality ingredients while satisfying factors are up in the sky! I choose to serve the Chicken Gyros in the lighter Arabic pitta bread instead of the Greek thick ones, which also wraps better. Accompanied with simple salad ingredients and a lemony yoghurt sauce, provided by our good friends (Straggato Charalambides-Christis). This Chicken Gyros recipe would be perfect with an ice cold beer.
Have a look below at the full recipe.
Don’t forget, you can always print it. I hope you enjoy it!
Alternatively, you can always surf in our Facebook & Instagram pages to explore more mouthwatering recipes.
I hope you enjoy it!
For more Chicken recipes please follow the link.
Chicken Gyros with a Lemony Yoghurt Sauce
- 3 Chicken Breast Fillets , about 200 grs each without the skin and cut in 4 pieces
- 3 Chicken Thighs , de-boned and skin on, cut in 2 pieces
- 8 tablespoons EVOO , Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh Parsley , leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 2 fresh ripe Tomatoes , cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 Cucumber , unpeeled, cut lengthwise twice and thinly sliced
- ½ Red Onion , thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons dry Coriander , powder grinded
- 2 ½ teaspoons Sweet Smoked Paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons Cumin , powder grinded
- ½ teaspoon dry Garlic , powder grinded
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon , powder grinded
- 1 teaspoon All-Spice , powder grinded
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 300 grs Yoghurt , Straggato Charalambides-Christis
- 30 ml Lemon juice
- 1 Lemon Zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh Mint , home grown, leaves picked and chiffonade
- 1 ½ teaspoons Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- 4 Arabic Pitta
- From the previous night mix in a medium bowl all the spices (keep aside ½ of the paprika) with 1 teaspoon of Salt and ½ teaspoon of Pepper and 4 tablespoons of oil. Add the chicken, toss and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C, air circulation, rack in the middle.
- In a large rectangular non-stick oven dish add the chicken and cook for 20 minutes, tossing the chicken halfway through. Remove from the oven and let slightly cool.
- On a carving board spread the chicken and thinly slice each piece.
- Set a large saucepan over high heat and let it heat up for a minute. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan and let this heat up for 1 minute. Add the chicken and sauté, tossing frequently until nicely browned and slightly crispy
- In the meantime, add in a small bowl, lemon juice and zest, the rest of the oil, 2 tablespoons, the mint, ½ of salt and the yoghurt and mix well. Place in a jar and keep aside.
- To serve take a pitta and add to the middle 4 tablespoons of the chicken and top with 4 pieces of tomatoes, a tablespoon of cucumbers, few onions, some parsley and a tablespoon of the yoghurt sauce. Wrap the pitta bread tightly and wrap with parchment paper and aluminium foil. On the opening of the wrap add some more yoghurt sauce, sprinkle some paprika and add some parsley.